Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Persecution and the Sabbath (John 5:15-16)

The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. For this reason the Jews ipersecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath.  John 5:15-16

The job I have can be somewhat demanding on my time.  I enjoy and look forward to my days off.  I am sure you can relate.  In fact, as I write this I am looking forward to having tomorrow and Friday off.  

Jesus healed a man and the religious leaders of His day went nuts.  Oh... not because He healed the man.  They couldn't care less about that. IT WAS THE SABBATH... HOW DARE HE! The Sabbath, as I am sure you already know, was installed as a buffer for people so they do not work themselves to death.  It was also a day set aside for the worship of God. Part of worship is ministry.  Jesus, the great Physician, ministered to this man on a day specifically set aside for the worship of God.  The only problem was the rules people made around that day.

I wonder what rules WE, yes you and me, have placed around certain days that prohibit us from ministering to others or otherwise worshiping the Lord?

Cheers.

No comments: