Saturday, January 2, 2010

A book review for you preachers out there

Happy New Year!

 

What better way to begin the year than with a book review?

 

Haddon Robinson offers the church a concise and extremely helpful volume on preaching in Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages.  I love his use of language and the fact that Robinson, as a master teacher, speaks on "my level".  As a writer, and a preacher… I respect that.

 

If you are looking for a book to help round off a few rough edges in your sermon(s), I wholeheartedly recommend Biblical Preaching.

 

The copy I read is a first print from 1980. (Yep... this book is as old as I am.)  Here is the updated edition (2001)

 

http://www.amazon.com/Biblical-Preaching-Development-Delivery-Expository/dp/0801022622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262302636&sr=8-1

 

Robinson gets high marks from me on this one and, infinitely more important, what this book aims at producing glorifies Jesus… namely, Biblical Preaching.  If I had to sum the book up in one thought it would be:  The preacher is to communicate truth to those who need it.  If it is not properly communicated... we have failed in our task.  Clarity over profundity.
 
Note:  If you enjoy listening to podcasts on sermon development and would like more from Haddon Robinson... here's the link in iTunes.  The podcast is called PREACHING POINTS.

No comments: