Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Timidly following Christ?

I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:3 - 7

 

Paul wrote 2 Timothy to a young guy named... of all things... Timothy.

 

Timothy had a lot going for him.  He learned at Paul's side.  He was well spoken of not only by Paul, but we can assume from the other apostles.  But he, like all of us, wrestled with timidity.

 

What makes us back down from doing what we know we ought?

 

Fear of man?  Possibly.  There is always the fear that we will not be well received.

 

Insecurity? Possibly.  There is always the potential for the nagging feeling that we are not able to accomplish such and such a job for the Lord.

 

Are there more than two? Of course. But the reasons for timidity are not nearly as important as the call to be powerful (in your faith), loving, and self disciplined.  Ask yourself today:

 

What has the Lord called me to and equipped me for that I am not boldly pursuing?

No comments: