Saturday, August 22, 2009

Stand your ground

As a man, I have an innate desire to create... or tackle a bear... or scale a mountain.... Ok, maybe not mountain climbing.  (He says knowing perfectly well that he's afraid heights)
 
The truth is that everyone I know wants to be known for something. A great dad. A missionary to their community. An employee that honors Jesus by honoring her boss. These are all good things and I certainly do not want to diminish the importance of them. But if you are like me there is something inside you that says, "I must he different. I must stand out in a crowd."  But the gospel compels us, however, to look at ourselves differently.
 
We must come to the point where we say, along with John the Baptist, "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)
 
This does not mean that we cower down when we need to stand up.  It means that the world needs to see less of us and more of Jesus in us.
 
Think on these things.
 
Shalom
 

No comments: