Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our will be done?

During this morning's devotions I was struck with the notion that so many times I want my will to be done. That is, unfortunately,
natural. But what does God want? I think anyone who is honest with the Biblical record will come to the conclusion that God is in charge.

Jesus taught us how to pray in Mathew 6:9 - 15. The centerpiece of the lesson is in verse 10: "Your will be done." Jesus said in John 6:38 that His will it to do the will of the Father who sent Him.

But there's the issue... there is the problem. I want to compromise... I want to barter with God. I want there to be some give and take in this whole, "Whose will will be done?" But that is not on the table is it?

You see friends, the simple truth of the matter is this:

God doesn't have to use any of us.

That He does work in and through His people is an act of grace and should be greeted with a sense of awe on ours.

I came across this quote today:

Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. (Erica Jong)

I hope, like Jesus, we can all say from a heart that yearns for God:

Thy will be done.

No comments: