Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sore Muscles

I used to work out, a lot. One day, after years of not doing crunches, I decided to start up again. “I can pick up right where I left off.” I thought to myself. I was wrong. The day after my workout my abdominal muscles were very, very sore.

Flash forward another couple of years. When my family and I vacationed in Miami last February we took full advantage of the giant trampoline in my in-laws’ backyard. I was jumping for hours on a huge trampoline with my kids (mostly Sammy). Need I say that my abs were KILLING ME? Well, they were. I was sore just from enjoying the day, not from battling fat in the gym. I wonder how my spiritual muscles would fair against a real battle . . . a real war. I wonder if they would be sore, or would they be in great shape and prepared for the task.

The good news is, as believers in Christ, we will all find out how “in shape” we are. The bad news is, some of us will be too sore to fight.

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. (1 Corinthians 9:25)

No comments: