I looked at the corporate giving for last week (it will be in the bulletin Sunday as usual) and I must say… I was a little taken aback. It seems that the fall out from the market hiccup that Wall Street is currently experiencing is causing problems right I our own back-yard. What are we to do? Here are three options:
- Run through the streets in a fit of rage shouting, “Someone do something and HELP THIS COUNTRY!”
- Call upon the only One who can actually do anything about our problems. (That would be Jesus)
Now, you may think I am trying to be funny here, but I’m not. Option one seems to be the least appealing to me. Option two is the only option that has any weight to it at all. We are told to:
- Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:7-8, NIV)
- Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:19-21, NIV)
and let us not forget…
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6, NIV)
The third option is, I’m afraid, the option most Christians choose to utilize. Nothing is what many do when faced with the situations they encounter. Nothing is what they get.
If you always do what you’ve always done, you can always expect what you always got!