Wednesday, June 16, 2010

John Lambert

This afternoon, as part of my devotional reading, I was challenged by the article on John Lambert in the Voice of the Martyrs devotional Extreme Devotion.

THE SHORT STORY:

John stood up against an un-scriptural preacher and was brought before the king of England.  When his debating with the clergy before Henry VIII did not cause the king to bend his ear... John was given the following choice: Submit and live or continue and die.

What was John's answer?

"I commend my soul to the hands of God, but my body I give to your clemency."

He was then burned at the stake.

Now... I don't know about you, but I shutter to think that I back down from standing up for Christ in the more comfortable enviornments.  May Jesus give us the boldness to stand up and speak the words of life... the Gospel.

-----------------

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10

No comments: