Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Book Review

I just finished 7 Practices of Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley and let me say this upfront: The guys at North Point Ministries really have their act together.
 
To be frank, I put off reading this book after reading the table of contents. The long narrative section was a real turn off for me and delayed my reading for months.  I am so glad i decided to revisit this book!  If you decide to pick it up, you will share my gladness.  Here are the 7 Practices... just in case you were wondering:
 
1.  Clarify the Win
 
2.  Think Steps, Not Programs
 
3.  Narrow the Focus
 
4.  Teach Less for More
 
5.  Listen to Outsiders
 
6.  Replace Yourself
 
7.  Work On It
 
Now, I have to warn you... this book is LOADED with baseball analogies, but don;t let that frighten you if you are not a baseball fan.  The content is explained and non-baseballic illustrations are plentiful.
 
I think the opening words of Andy's epilogue not only capture the essence of this short work, but say everything I want to say about it:
 
Your ministry is perfectly designed to achieve the results you are currently getting.
 
I highly recommend this book to anyone who takes ministry seriously.  And anyone who does not take ministry seriously needs to read this book twice.
 
 

No comments: