Author Pete Hammond nails it:
- I seek comfort – He invites me to join in his suffering.
- I like acceptance and approval – He calls me to be counter-cultural.
- I assume my right to safety – He calls me to personal risk.
- I desire financial security – He encourages generosity.
- I cherish privacy – He invites me into community.
- I yearn for personal significance – he made himself “of no reputation.”
- I hide for fear of being judged and rejected – He knows me fully and loves me.
- I really like my pillow – He had no place to lay his head.
- I want to prolong a healthy life – He calls me to die daily.
- I hide in macho male bravado – He weeps for others.
- I love good regular meals – He feeds others.
- I ponder doctrine – He practices love.
- I crave success – He wants me to oppose evil at all costs.
- I seek out important people – He befriends the despised and rejected.
Jesus is hard to enjoy,
But what I find deep within me is much worse.
From Lessons, Prayers & Scripture on the Faith Journey by Pete Hammond
The Question is, of course, will you allow the Lord to use you in the ways that please Him?
(tag… you’re it.)