Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A day off

Yesterday the Fab 5 and I, along with some out of town guests, went to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. It was a lot of fun. Here are a few things I noticed while I was there.

The factory workers kept looking up at us as they worked. I wondered what they were thinking. Maybe something like, “Why aren’t these people at work? It’s Monday for crying out loud!” or, “I feel like I am in a zoo exhibit with all those people watching me work.” As I watched them and watched them watching me, my mind went to 1 Peter 1:12:

Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into. (KJV)


We do not know what the angels’ searching looks like exactly or what interests them the most about it. But we do know that we are being observed, we are being watched. I wonder if we were reminded of this often if it would change the way we do things… or don’t do things?

We were at the factory for a while. As I watched the workers and the machinery in action, something else stood out. Every so often, the line would stop. Something at the beginning of the cycle would jam or stop and subsequently, others down the line would stop as well. Now I do not know who gets paid more or what the internal structure is, but I do know this: The guy at the end of the line is depending on the guy at the front of the line to do his job efficiently and exactly.

Paul writes:

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
(1 Corinthians 12:12-21, KJV)

In the body of Christ we are dependant on each other. If we are not in unison, then the body does not function properly. This is one of the reasons we ought to pray one for another.

I learned a lot about cheese and how it is made yesterday. But even more importantly I was able to teach my children some very important lessons.

But going back to my first point, the author of Hebrews has something more to add:

Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
(Hebrews 13:1-2, KJV)

No comments: