Friday, November 14, 2008

Excuses, Excuses

I have not been able to post here for a while. My dog ate my homework… and then he died.

Now… someone will read this and immediately say, “He doesn’t have a dog! What on earth is he talking about?” Ah! And there we have it. One excuse is as good as another. So what does this have to do with our connection to God?

In The Parable of the Talents Jesus says:

“Then the man who had received the one talent came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’
“His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
“ ‘Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(Mt 25:24-30, NIV).

He could just have very well said, “My dog ate my homework… and then he died.” The result would have been the same.

We are entrusted with a very, very precious gift: THE GOSPEL. We all need to be good stewards and not offer excuses.

He who excuses himself accuses himself.
~Gabriel Meurier, Trésor des sentences

No comments: