Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lesson for today


". . . speaking the truth in love . . . ." (Eph 4:15)

I had the honor of having lunch with my wife, my youngest daughter, and Dr. Earl Radmacher. At the end of our time together I asked him if he had any advice for a young pastor. What he said blew me away. Here is a paraphrase:

Ephesians 4:15 says, “speak the truth in love”. That is where doctrine and experience meet. The truth of doctrine is worthless without the experience of love. The experience of love is empty without the truth of doctrine. That is the balance… truth AND love.

Praise the Lord for Godly men who have wrestled with the text and are willing to share with those who need it. Sure, he has a ton of accomplishments and degrees. He knows people that some of us only read and read about. But that is not what impressed me about the man. He is a great student of the Bible and proof that the Word of God is powerful. Truly we stand on the shoulders of giants that came before us.

No comments: