Saturday, February 7, 2009

Membership Classes

I am the pastor of Bethany Baptist Church… well ok… Jesus is THE PASTOR of Bethany Baptist Church. I serve Him as under shepherd. By the grace of God we are seeking to build up and strengthen the church through sound teaching and Godly leadership. One of the ways we do that is through our monthly Membership Classes (Exploring Bethany). Today, actually 16 minutes from now, we will be hosting membership classes in the office. I am a little nervous every time we have them because I have opened the floor up for questions and discussion. That can be a little frightening to be honest, (not that I am in the habit of lying), but here is why I do it:

  • Not everyone is at the same spiritual level. Getting answers to questions that have “stumped” someone can prove to be a major turning point in their life.

  • It pushes me, or the one teaching the class, to be in the Word and prepared for… well… anything.

  • It’s fun talking to people about how the Lord has ministered to them through his Word.

Ok… looks like I have to get going. One more thing before I go:

While it is true that someone becomes a member of the Body of Christ at the moment of Salvation, membership in the local church (the outward and terrestrial manifestation of the present Life of Christ) may not be.

Shoot me an email or call me if you have any questions.

Shalom

No comments: